Historic Markers Across Georgia



Adel Lime Sink



Marker ID: GHM 037-2
Location: East Fourth St and South Gordon Ave (Ga 76 & Ga 37), Adel
County: Cook
Coordinates: N 31° 8.268    W 083° 25.207
  31.1378    -83.42011
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM58E0
Adel Lime Sink Marker  



Text:

The origin of both the lake and its name are a mystery as the source of the water is unknown and analysis has shown no lime in the soil. The lake which reputedly ´has no bottom´ formerly served as baptismal pool for the adjacent Salem Primitive Baptist Church built in 1859. The church organized in that years ws given the lake and three acres of land by David G. Hutchinson. The area has been restored to its natural beauty by the Adel Women´s Club. During the early history of Adel this site served as a social center for the entire community and many generations of children have fished from the lake´s banks.

GHM 037-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

037-2