Historic Markers Across Georgia



Federal Wire Road



Marker ID: WPA 22 K-4
Location: Courthouse in Knoxville
County: Crawford
Coordinates: N 32° 43.475    W 083° 59.883
  32.724583    -83.99805
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7F5Z
Federal Wire Road Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This highway, created by an act of Congress in 1810, entered the state at Augusta passing through Warrenton, Sparta, Milledgeville, Macon and Knoxville to Coweta Town (Columbus. It was formerly known as the Stage Coach Road. A telegraph line, the first that connected New Orleans with Washington, D.C., was erected in 1843. The wires paralleled this road between Columbus and Macon, giving to this section of the old highway the name of ´The Federal Wire Road.´ This telegraph line was also the first one to be erected in the State of Georgia.

GA-22 WPA Marker K-4



 

 

039-A2