Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Early



Marker ID: GHM 040-2
Location: Ga 300 1 mile from the Worth County line
County: Crisp
Coordinates: N 31° 51.531    W 083° 54.689
  31.85885    -83.91148
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3RQZ
Fort Early Marker  



Text:

Fort Early, built by General Blackshear in 1812, was named for Peter Early, Governor of Georgia at that time. It was used by General Blackshear during the war of 1812. On February 13, 1818 General Andrew Jackson and his army arrived at the fort and used it in the campaign against the hostile Seminole Indians of Florida and Creek Indians of Georgia. Nothing remains of the fort. It is believed to have been a stockade like many used in Indian warfare.

The site of the fort is owned and marked by the Fort Early chapter of the D.A.R.

040-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

040-2