Historic Markers Across Georgia



Crisp County



Marker ID: GHM 040-6
Location: Courthouse in Cordele on 7th Ave (US 41) between 12th and 13th Ave in Cordele, GA.
County: Crisp
Coordinates: N 31° 58.047    W 083° 46.947
  31.96745    -83.78245
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8VDQ
Crisp County Marker  



Text:

Crisp County was created by Act of Aug. 17, 1905 from Dooly County. It was named for Charles Frederick Crisp (1845-1896), Georgia lawyer, judge, Congressman, who was born in Sheffield, England, of act parents touring the British Isles. Judge Crisp served as Speaker of the House of Representatives, 1891-1893. First officers of Crisp County, commissioned October 10, 1905, were: S.W. Coney, Ordinary; J.A. Littlejohn, Clk. Sup. Ct.; G.W. Sheppard, Sheriff, J.M. Davis, Tax Rec.; John C. Fenn, Tax Col.; B.N. Williams, Treasurer; W.T. Cheeves, Surveyor; L.M. Sumner, Coroner.

040-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

Crisp County


 

040-6