Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park



Marker ID:  
Location: Mounted on the west side of the entrance to the Veterans Memorial State Park, US 280 west of Cordele, GA.
County: Crisp
Coordinates: N 31° 58.061    W 083° 54.736
  31.96768333    -83.91226666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM8W2C
Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park Marker  



Text:

This 1000 acre tract, once the hunting and fishing grounds of Creek Indians, was purchased from Dr. Russell Thomas and John F. Thomas on December 4, 1946, by the Crisp County commissioners, Dr. L.E. Williams, J. Homer Durough and Claude L. McMillan, upon the request of the citizens of Crisp County.

It was deeded to the state accepted by Ben Fortson, Secretary of the State, for Governor Ellis Arnall for the use and improvement as a perpetual memorial to the heroic service and sacrifice of Georgia veterans, as envisioned by Nelson M. Shipp and provided for by 1 1946 act of the General Assembly introduced by Palmer H. Greene, representative, of Crisp.

Improvements during 1945 -- 1955 authorized by members of the General Assembly with approval and aid of Governors Eugene Talmadge, Melvin Thompson. Herman Talmadge and Marvin Griffin; and State Parks Director's Ward Harrison, Charlie Morgan, Newton Moye and Roy F. Chalker; under supervision of Parks engineers H.W. Oliver and John M. Mann.

Serve the Living -- Honor Our Heroic Dead



 

Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park


 

040-A15