Historic Markers Across Georgia



Camp Safety Patrol - Lake Blackshear



Marker ID:  
Location: Mounted on the east side of the entrance to the Veterans Memorial State Park, US 280 west of Cordele, GA.
County: Crisp
Coordinates: N 31° 58.063    W 083° 54.728
  31.96771666    -83.91213333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM8W2T
Camp Safety Patrol - Lake Blackshear Marker  



Text:

This camp, as proposed by Cpl. J.M. Moore, Georgia State Highway Patrol, and sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Emmett R. Culbreth and James H. Floyd, State Commanders; Department of Public Safety, George Wilson, director, and the Department of State Parks, Newton Moye, director, was constructed in 1951 -- 1952 under the authorization of Governor Hermann Talmadge.

It was built and equipped through the efforts of Lt. Col. E.S. Burke, deputy director, Department of Safety, and Cpl. J.M. Moore, with funds furnished by the state, Veterans of Foreign Wars and private individuals.

The purpose of this camp is to train school patrol boys and girls in a sound program of safety rules and regulations covering bus transportation, street and highway traffic, water safety, and to provide a diversified recreational youth programs.



 

Camp Safety Patrol - Lake Blackshear


 

040-A16