Historic Markers Across Georgia



North American FJ-4B Fury



Marker ID:  
Location: on Cannon Rd near the visitors center in the Veterans Memorial Park, US 280 west of Cordele, GA.
County: Crisp
Coordinates: N 31° 57.530    W 083° 54.700
  31.95883333    -83.91166666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WM8YTN
North American FJ-4B Fury Marker  



Text:

With the Korean War focusing attention on the advancements made in Russian aircraft technology in the MiG 15, the Navy looked for a fast way to acquire a fighter with better performance. The best jet was the F86 Saber, which had developed from the original Fury and could easily defeat the MiG 15. Converting this Saber into a carrier fighter led to the Fury family of jet aircraft.

The last and definitive version of the Fury family was the FJ-4B or "Fury Bravo". On the FJ-4B the wing was strengthened to handle the Martin Bullpup missile system. The engine was a Wright J65-W-16 A sapphire turbojet. The fury was also equipped with the Low Altitude Bombing System (LABS) from the Air Force F-86H. This system was used to deliver tactical nuclear weapons by automatically computing the exact time of bomb release; both to ensure hitting the target and allowing the pilot to get clear. A second set of speed brakes was added to improve the Jet's attack capabilities. A total of 222 FJ-4Bs were produced from 1956 through 1958.

The FJ-4B had several good characteristics, including a roomy cockpit and excellent maneuvering in the air. The jet was referred to by its pilots as "Cadillac" and many thought the fury bravo a better attack platform than its replacement the A4D Skyhawk.



 

North American FJ-4B Fury

Notes:

This FJ-4B has been detailed according to a photograph of it flying a refueling (??) mission on December 17, 1956. This Fury was manufactured by North American Aviation, Columbus Ohio and delivered Navy in 1957. The Fury was assigned to Attack Squadron VA-115 Roadrunners. The unit (??) was redesignated VA-144 Roadrunners midway through deployment on the USS Ranger (CVA-61) in 1959. In 1960 VA-144 and another squadron VA-146 Blue Diamonds deployed aboard USS Oriskany (CVA-34) The Fury then left VA-144 and was (??) aboard the USS Lexington (CVA-16) from 1961 to 1962. The Fury then left VA-144 and was transferred to VA-216 (???). The jet the returned stateside to a variety of stations before being surpluses in 1965.

Portions of this marker are very difficult to read.

Wikipedia - FJ Fury

Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park

 

040-A18