Historic Markers Across Georgia



DeSoto Trail - 1540



Marker ID: WPA 41 O-5
Location: US 41 at Cedar Lane just south of Cordele
County: Crisp
Coordinates: N 31° 56.216    W 083° 46.823
  31.936933    -83.78038
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8VDW
DeSoto Trail - 1540 Marker  



Text:

Hernando de Soto and his army after crossing to the west side of Flint River near Bainbridge, recrossed it on March 31, 1540, between the mouths of Jones and Gum creeks, and stopped at the town of the leshist chief. He was the first that came to them in peace after their departure from the Apalachee country and upon the mound of his village they erected a large wooden Cross, April 1, 1540. The Indians "received it and worshipped it devoutly to all appearance."

DE SOTO QUADRI-CENTENNIAL-1940



 

DeSoto Trail - 1540


 

040-A5