Historic Markers Across Georgia



Decatur County



Marker ID: GHM 043-4
Location: Courthouse in Bainbridge
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 54.396    W 084° 34.595
  30.9066    -84.57658
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM76Y2
Decatur County Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

Decatur County was created by Act of Dec. 8, 1823 from Early County. Sessions were cut off later to form part of Seminole and Grady Counties. It was named for Stephen Decatur (1779-1820), naval officer who served with great gallantry at Tripoli and in the War of 1812. In 1815, he commanded the expedition against the Dey of Algiers, forcing the Dey to renounce claims to tribute from the U.S. First County Officers, commissioned May 5, Corner: R.B. Douglas, Surveyor: Daniel O´Neel, Clerk Superior Court, Daniel O´Neel was commissioned Clerk of Inferior Court, also, on June 11, 1824.

GHM 043-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

043-4