Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cyrene Institute (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: At US 84 and Cyrene Road west of Bainbridge
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 56.527    W 084° 40.884
  30.942116    -84.6814
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7FXJ
Cyrene Institute (Side 1) Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

This school was founded in 1909 by C. S. Hodges and W. G. Powell, at the Village of Cyrene, to provide preparatory education for boys. Later that year the curricula was expanded to provide co-educational teaching and the facilities were enlarged to accommodate boarding students. At that time the school was deeded to the Bowen Baptist Association. Cyrene Institute offered primary and secondary education with some college preparatory courses. The school facilities included a girls and boys dormitory, dining hall and general administration building. Accommodations were available for approximately 100 students. After only a few years in operation the school closed about 1916.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1986.



 

 

043-A10