Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: WPA 84 J-8
Location: West and Troupe Streets, Bainbridge
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 54.308    W 084° 34.594
  30.905133    -84.57656
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6MCQ
First Presbyterian Church Marker
Photo by snfromky



Text:

The First Presbyterian Church once stood here. It was a handsome building with a lofty ceiling vestibule and three sided gallery. The lot was one-half acre in size, cost $110 and was bounded by Troup, West and Crawford Streets. The congregation was large ans also wealthy. During 1861-1865 daily prayers were offered and the pastor, Col. James F. Dunlop, organized a company that fought valiantly in the Confederate Army. The Church was burned to the ground on Sunday morning Sept. 20, 1874 with the bell tolling the funeral knell.

WPA



 

 

043-A14