Historic Markers Across Georgia



First United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 300 West Shotwell St, Bainbridge
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 54.247    W 084° 34.704
  30.904116    -84.5784
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM76XZ
First United Methodist Church Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

Founded in 1823, title to this property was conveyed to the church in 1830 by the Inferior Court, Bainbridge. An initial building was erected about 1840 and was also used during the 1850´s for services by Baptists and Presbyterians. In 1854 an enlarged wooden structure was completed and served the congregation until 1899, when a brick facility was fabricated. Fire destroyed the church in 1906, but the building was replaced by the present structure and hosted the 1911 South Georgia annual conference.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Decatur County Historical Society 1980
J.J. Jaxon Co. - Eufaula, AL.



 

 

043-A15