Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Hughes



Marker ID: WPA 
Location: East edge of river bridge, Bainbridge
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 54.583    W 084° 34.656
  30.909716    -84.5776
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8H1E
Fort Hughes Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

Four blocks west is the site of Fort Hughes, built in 1817, by the 7th Regiment of the U.S. Infantry under the command of Captain John M. McIntosh. This fort served as a protection for foraging parties and as a trading post and U.S. Arsenal during the First Seminole War.

A Federal Monument marks the site of the fort and is near the grave of Bugler Hughes who fell in a fight with the Indians November 28, 1817.

Erected by WPA or U.S. Works Progress Administration




Fort Hughes
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

More information:
Fort Hughes, Georgia

 

043-A16