Historic Markers Across Georgia



Simeon Brinson 1847-1918 (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: In cemetery at US 84 and Ga 310 west of Bainbridge
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 58.196    W 084° 43.952
  30.969933    -84.73253
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7FXD
Simeon Brinson 1847-1918 (Side 2) Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

The town of Brinson was named in honor of Simeon Brinson, a prominent farmer and businessman. Brinson, a native of Dougherty County, saw action during the War Between the Sates as a private in Company E, Fifth Georgia Cavalry. After the war he moved to Decatur County. Brinson served as the first postmaster of the Spring Creek Post Office which was established in 1874. He was still postmaster when the name of the post office was changed to Brinson on August 24, 1889. Brinson served as mayor of the town in 1907 and 1913-1914 and two terms (1909-1912) in the Georgia General Assembly. He is interred in the Brinson Cemetery.

Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Decatur County Comission 1986
County Commission, 1986.



 
Notes:

Side 1: Brinson

 

043-A20