Historic Markers Across Georgia



The J. D. Chason Memorial Park History



Marker ID: WPA 
Location: At the park, Donalson Street, Bainbridge
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 54.474    W 084° 34.722
  30.9079    -84.5787
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8GHB
The J. D. Chason Memorial Park History Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

(side 1) The J.D. Chason Memorial Park is an historic location. It was here that DeSoto and his men crossed the Flint River over three centuries ago. The El Camino Real, the King`s Highway, also crossed the grounds. Located within the Park is the site of Fort Hughes, built in 1817 by U.S. Soldiers under command of Capt. John M. McIntosh, and the grave of the first soldier, Bugler Hughes, killed in the Seminole Indian War.

(side 2)The J.D. Chason Memorial Park stands a permanent honor in memory of Doctor J.D. Chason. Members of his immediate family graciously presented it on December 29, 1921 to the city of Bainbridge. It is an historic location and is about two acres in size. The use of it is restricted to park purposes.




The J. D. Chason Memorial Park History
Photo by Coinseekers



 

043-A24