Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on the grounds of Hutto Middle School MLK Jr Blvd. Bainbridge,Ga.
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 54.498    W 084° 33.485
  30.9083    -84.55808333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBW5N
First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In 1876, the First Flint River Missionary Baptist Association was formed to help "lift the veil of ignorance from its people" using land purchased in 1896 and 1915. The Association established First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute in 1918 with the Reverend H.F. Taylor as its head. The work of the school was entrusted to the care of Reverend James Graves, Mrs. L. Jackson and Mrs. Josie King Williams. This facility gave black children an opportunity for an education beyond the elementary schooling provided by Decatur County. Children from the county lived with Bainbridge area families until a dormitory could be built.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Decatur County Historical Society 2008




First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

Two sided marker: Union Normal School

 

043-A35