Historic Markers Across Georgia



Attapulgus High School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on Church Street near the Attapulgus Baptist Church, Attapulgus, GA.
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 44.810    W 084° 29.090
  30.74683333    -84.48483333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBW6B
Attapulgus High School Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

SIDE 1:
A male academy was established in Attapulgus in 1836 and a female academy in 1852. A four-room frame building was built on the site after establishment of public education in Georgia in 1872. In 1921 Mariola School joined Attapulgus and a frame stucco building of eight rooms was built. It burned in 1922. In 1925 Amsterdam School merged with Attapulgus and an eight room brick building was built. In 1933 the locals provided materials and the WPA provided labor to build 'THE SHELL´, a gymnasium. Later an AG building, classrooms and a lunch room were added.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alumni of Attapulgus School and the Decatur County Historical Society, 2005.

SIDE 2:
With county consolidation, the High School was moved to Bainbridge in 1966 and the elementary grades in 1971. In 1972 a tornado badly damaged the main building and destroyed the gymnasium and AG building. The County Board declared the property surplus and sold it to Attapulgus Baptist Church in 1973. With dedicated teachers, an excellent curriculum was taught. When the Attapulgus School closed, all teachers held masters degrees or better. Many of the school´s graduates went on to higher education, performing as well or better than those from larger schools.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission Alumni of Attapulgus School and the Decatur County Historical Society, 2005.




Attapulgus High School
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

Two sided marker:

 

043-A36