Historic Markers Across Georgia



Brinson (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: In cemetery at US 84 and Ga 310 west of Bainbridge
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 58.196    W 084° 43.952
  30.969933    -84.73253
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7FXA
Brinson (Side 1) Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

First settled in the 1850´s present day Brinson was originally known as Spring Creek. The name was changed in 1889 when the town was laid out and established by Simeon Brinson. In that same year the Alabama Midland Railroad completed a line through the town. Brinson soon became a shipping point for agricultural products, lumber and metal stores which were the major industries in the area. By an act of the Georgia General Assembly on August 22, 1907, the village was incorporated as "the Town of Brinson." Brinson began to decline because of the closing of sawmill operations between 1910-20.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Decatur County Commission, 1986.



 
Notes:

Side 2: Simeon Brinson 1847-1918

 

043-A4