Historic Markers Across Georgia



Camp Recovery



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Intersection of Booster Club amd Recovery Roads, just west of Ga 310
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 45.238    W 084° 43.901
  30.753966    -84.73168
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBW64
Camp Recovery Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The medical camp was established on September 15, 1820 by the Southeastern Army of the United States headquartered at Fort Scott. It was used as a recuperation area for soldiers who had contracted malaria and dysentery in the swampy environs of the fort. Soldiers considered the fort to be the deadliest military assignment in the country because of numerous illnesses and deaths there. The camp was located on a high ridge three miles southeast of Fort Scott. A 34-pound cannon marks the site of the camp and the nearby cemetery for the soldiers who perished here.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Decatur Historical Society, 1995.




Camp Recovery
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

More information:
Camp Recovery, Georgia

 

043-A6