Historic Markers Across Georgia



Climax, Georgia



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: At "Courthouse"/old Depot at park on New St in Climax
County: Decatur
Coordinates: N 30° 52.888    W 084° 25.74
  30.881466    -84.429
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WMNJHV
Climax, Georgia Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Climax is the highest point on the railroad between Savannah, Ga., and the Chattahoochee River. The town was laid out and named in 1883 after a branch rail line was built to Chattahoochee, Fla. Later, a second branch rail line was built to Amsterdam, Ga. The town served as a rail junction and an agricultural community for many years, but was not incorporated until Aug. 11, 1905. It flourished, with businesses, churches, a school, hotels, and services needed to sustain the community. With the coming of paved highways and the cutback of rail services, the town´s economic strenght [sic] declined.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION
THE CITY OF CLIMAX
AND THE DECATUR COUNTY COMMISSION 1986



Climax, Georgia Welcome Sign
Climax, Georgia
Photo by David Seibert



 

043-A8