Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Samuel House Plantation



Marker ID: GHM 044-10
Location: Peachtree Rd at Ashford Dunwoody Rd
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 52.53    W 084° 19.653
  33.8755    -84.32755
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM891E
The Samuel House Plantation  Marker  



Text:

The large brick residence built in 1857 by Samuel House (1798-1873) was a prominent landmark during military operations by Federal forces on the Atlanta front in July, 1864.

Cox´s division of Schofield´s 23rd A.C. reached this vicinity July 18; Schofield, in person, with the div. was here jointed by Sherman who established headquarters at the house.

Cox´s div. camped on the plantation; Hascall´s div., having traversed Cox´s line of march via Old Cross keys, turned S.W. on Peachtree Rd. to Goodwin´s, then S.E. to Johnston´s Mill on N. Fork Peachtree Creek where it camped.

044-10 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1984




The Samuel House Plantation
Photo by Ken Moser



 

044-10