Historic Markers Across Georgia



Solomon Goodwin's Res.



Marker ID: GHM 044-12
Location: Peachtree Rd SW of North Druid Hills Rd intersection
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 52.45    W 084° 20.533
  33.87416666    -84.34221666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1V0Y
Solomon Goodwin's Res. Marker  



Text:

The house on adjacent knoll built 1831, by Solomon Goodwin (circa 1780-1850), oldest extant house in DeKalb County, was a landmark of Federal military operation in these environs during the summer of 1864.

July 18, Hascall´s div., 23d A.C. having marched from Old Cross Keys & Samuel House plantation, turned S.E. here to camp at Johnston´s Mill on N. Fork Peachtree Creek. Cox´s div. of the 23d A.C. formed the center of the Federal armies moving toward Atlanta on the wide front from the Chattahoochee River.

GHM 044-12 - Georgia Historical Commission - 1954



Solomon Goodwin’s Residence, Built in 1831
Solomon Goodwin's Res.
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

The family cemetery and the house are located just east of the marker. The marker is on the east side of Peachtree Rd between N. Druid Hills Rd. and Colonial Dr. and is a short walk from the Brookhaven MARTA station.

 

044-12