|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
Wm. Johnston's Mill
About 0.3 miles upstream North Fork Peachtree Creek, is the site of a mill owned by Wm. Johnston (1789-1855), ~ a landmark of Federal military operations in the summer of 1864. Schofield´s 23d A.C., having crossed the Chattahoochee River at Isom´s Ferry July 8, began its march toward Decatur July 17 via Old Cross Keys and the House plantation. Cox´s division moved South East to Johnston´s mill where it camped night of July 18. This route was taken to enable the 23d A.C. to join McPherson´s Army of the Tennessee likewise marching to Decatur.
GHM 044-13 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1985