Historic Markers Across Georgia



Garrard's Cavalry at Stone Mtn. Depot



Marker ID: GHM 044-16
Location: At the north end of the old depot on Main Street, Stone Mountain, GA.
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 48.412    W 084° 10.239
  33.80686666    -84.17065
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM32WA
Garrard's Cavalry at Stone Mtn. Depot Marker  



Text:

July 18, 1864. Garrard´s cavalry division and Lightburn´s 15 A.C. [US] brigade moved from Browning´s Court House (Tucker), to this vicinity and destroyed 2 miles of GA R.R. track, several culverts, and the water tanks.

July 19, Long´s and Miller´s brigades, Garrard´s cavalry again struck the R.R. and destroyed quartermaster and commissary stores, 200 bales of cotton and additional trackage.

Dilbrell´s brigade, Kelly´s division, Wheeler´s cavalry corps made all possible defense efforts, both days to prevent the destruction of Atlanta eastern line of communication.

044-16 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 
Notes:

This marker was originally located on Memorial Drive at Silver Hill Rd at cemetery in Stone Mountain, GA.

 

044-16