Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site: Henderson's Mill



Marker ID: GHM 044-18
Location: Henderson Mill Rd between Briarcliff & Midvale Rds, S of crk
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 51.599    W 084° 15.143
  33.859983    -84.25238
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1VDC
Site: Henderson's Mill Marker  



Text:

Some 300 ft N.W. stood the ante and post bellum grist mill owned and operated by Greenville Henderson (1792-1869) and his son Rufus (1823-1872). The flat, left and rt. of this road was the mill pond area: the mill was demolished 1911.

During the march of Federal Army of the Tenn. from Roswell to Decatur, Logan´s 15th A.C. detoured from Shallow Ford Rd. at Rainey´s and moved to Browning´s Court House (TUCKER) to support Garrard´s foray on the Georgia R.R. For strategic reasons - and lack of water at Browning´s the corp. withdrew here and camped night of July 18, 1864. Its march to Decatur was resumed the next day.

GHM 044-18 - Georgia Historical Commission - 1985



 

 

044-18