Historic Markers Across Georgia



Federal Left Wing to Decatur



Marker ID: GHM 044-22
Location: Lawrenceville Hwy (US 29) at Montreal Road, Tucker, GA.
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 49.573    W 084° 15.347
  33.82621666    -84.25578333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDABQ
Federal Left Wing to Decatur  Marker  



Text:

July 19, 1864. The 15th & 17th, two of three corps, McPherson´s Army of the Tenn., forming the left wing of Sherman´s forces advancing on Atlanta, came this way on the last day of their march from Roswell to Decatur.

The other corps, Dodge´s 16th, reached Decatur via Shallow Ford & Clairmont rds. W. of here.

This wide swing to the S.E. from Roswell was for the purpose of destroying the Ga. R.R. between Stone Mtn. & Decatur, in which Garrard´s cav. div., on McPherson´s left, was most active. McPherson´s troops were the ones assailed by Hood´s forces in E. Atlanta, July 22.

044-22 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

Federal Left Wing to Decatur


 

044-22