Historic Markers Across Georgia



The 16th & 23rd Corps March to Decatur



Marker ID: GHM 044-23
Location: Just east of Clairmont and N. Druid Hills Road intersection
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 48.758    W 084° 18.435
  33.812633    -84.30725
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3ZB4
The 16th & 23rd Corps March to Decatur Marker  



Text:

July 19, 1864. Dodge´s 16th A.C., having camped on the North Fork, Peachtree Creek, moved south on old Shallow Ford road to this point where it joined Schofield´s 23d, which had march south east from Goodwin´s Crossing (Brookhaven), along roads now designated Briarwood and North Druid Hills.

The 23d, occupying the road, Dodge made a shift to reach Decatur by cutting a parallel road-crossing South Fork, Peachtree Creek, at Mason´s Mill, present site of Decatur Water Works.

South of the creek, the skirmishers of both Corp were assailed by Wheeler´s cavalry as they moved toward the Decatur Public Square.

GHM 044-23 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1954



 

 

044-23