Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J. D. Cox's H'DQ'RS



Marker ID: GHM 044-25
Location: North Decatur Rd at Clifton Rd
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 47.357    W 084° 19.266
  33.789283    -84.3211
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4DCW
Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J. D. Cox's H'DQ'RS Marker  



Text:

The Federal 23d A.C., Army of the Ohio, reached this vicinity via Old Shallow Ford Road (Clairmont) and North Decatur Road, evening of July 19, 1864. This was north east the sector of Sherman´s approach to Atlanta. Cox´s (3d) division bivouacked east of Pea Vine Creek on the Paden plantation, now part of Emory University campus. General Cox´s headquarters were at Judge Paden´s house.

Hascall´s (2d) division camped along Pea Vine Creek south of this point. McPherson´s Army of the Tennessee occupied Decatur; Thomas´s Army of the Cumberland was north of Atlanta, along Peachtree Creek, its right resting on the Chattahoochee River.

GHM 044-25 - Georgia Historical Commission -1993



 

 

044-25