Historic Markers Across Georgia



Durand's Mill



Marker ID: GHM 044-27
Location: Old Briarcliff Rd between Briarcliff and Clifton Roads
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 48.195    W 084° 20.138
  33.80325    -84.33563
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1YJC
Durand's Mill Marker  



Text:

Water-powered sawmill & factory operated in the 1860´s by Samuel A. Durand (1822-1891), later on by Fredrick A. Williams (1817-1883), whose name long designated the old road leading S.W and now known, in sections, as Briarcliff and Williams Mill Rds., Fortune and Houston Sts., and later terminating in downtown Atlanta.

Later J.F. Wallace (1840-1902) succeeded Williams: his name was given to Wallace Station-a former stop on the Seaboard R.R.: also the road S.E. to Emory University where it joins Clifton. Federal 4th Corps troops crossed S. Fork Peachtree Cr. At Durand´s Mill July 20, 1864 during their advance upon Atlanta.

GHM 044-27 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1997



 

 

044-27