Historic Markers Across Georgia



DeKalb County



Marker ID: GHM 044-29.5
Location: Old Courthouse, Decatur
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 46.524    W 084° 17.791
  33.7754    -84.29651
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1XF9
DeKalb County  Marker  



Text:

DeKalb County, created by Act of General Assembly Dec. 9, 1822 and including Fulton County until 1853, was named for Baron Johann DeKalb, a native German who fought gallantly for American freedom. Wounded and captured at the Battle of Camden, S.C., August 9, 1780, he died a British prisoner. Most of the early settlers of DeKalb County came from Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina.

First County Officers, commissioned March 18, 1822 in Fayette County, were: John S. Welch, Sheriff; Thomas A. Dobbs, Clerk Superior Court; Jonathan Dobbs, Clerk Inferior Court; John Calhoun, Coroner; James Adams, Surveyor.

044-29.5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 

 

044-29.5