Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Swanton House



Marker ID: GHM 044-30
Location: 716 West Trinity Place, Decatur
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 46.358    W 084° 18.290
  33.772633    -84.30483
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DTM
The Swanton House  Marker  



Text:

Ante-bellum residence of Benjamin E. Swanton; once the property of Ammi Williams, a DeKalb County pioneer. Built prior to 1842.

On 1865 the Swanton family was in residence here when the Federal Army of Tennessee occupied Decatur. This force consisted of the 15th, 16th & 17th Corps. Command by Gen. J. B. McPherson, which had crossed the Chattahoochee at Roswell. Enroute to Atlanta they camped at Decatur, night of July 19.

Brig. Gen. Thomas W. Sweeny, comdg 2d div. of Dodge´s 16th A.C. established h´dq´rs at the Swanton house - as recorded in the diary of J.P. Snell, 52d Ill. h´dq´rs clerck & war-corres.

GHM 044-30 - Georgia Historical Commission - 1956



 

 

044-30