Historic Markers Across Georgia



Wheeler's Cav. at Decatur



Marker ID: GHM 044-31
Location: 1 Old Courthouse, Decatur
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 46.516    W 084° 17.789
  33.775266    -84.29648
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1XF3
Wheeler's Cav. at Decatur Marker  



Text:

July 22, 1864. Coincident with Hardee´s night march to attach Federal forces in E. Atlanta, Wheeler´s cavalry [Confed.] was sent to sieze [sic] McPherson´s wagon trains parked N. of the Decatur public square, guarded by Sprague´s 16th A.C. brigade & three sections of field artillery.

Wheeler´s men, dismounted, were deployed S. of the R.R. & drove Sprague´s troops, together with the Chicago Board of Trade & Michigan batteries, [Union] to the public square where, outflanked, they withdrew with the wagon trains to the North Decatur Road.

Wheeler made no pursuit because of peremptory orders to rejoin Hardee in E. Atlanta.

GHM 044-31 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

044-31