Historic Markers Across Georgia



Restoring the Line



Marker ID: GHM 044-41
Location: DeKalb Avenue at Elmira Place
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 45.658    W 084° 20.807
  33.760966    -84.34678
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WM1XEZ
Restoring the Line  Marker  



Text:

July 22, 1864. After Cheatham´s troops (Confederate) broke the Federal 15th A.C. line at the R.R. cut and the Hurt house (DeGress Ave.), Mersy´s 16th A.C. brigade was brought up from the battlefield 1 mile S. of the R.R. to assist in restoring it.

Lightburn and Martin were deployed on and south of the R.R.; Mersy´s brigade north of it (near this point), with Wood´s two brigades aligned on his right, facing the left flank of the Confederate forces in the captured sector. In a concerted assault, the five brigades (Union) advanced and recovered the line, together with the four guns of the DeGress battery. This stirring action is pictured in the Cyclorama.

GHM 044-41 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1983



 

 

044-41