|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
Dodge's 16th A.C. Camp On Nancy's Creek
July 17, 1864. The march of the corps S. from the road-fork at Providence Church (Dunwoody) was opposed by Col. Geo. G. Dibrell´s brigade of Wheeler´s cav. [CSA]. After a sharp skirmish, the 9th Illinois Mounted Infantry drove Dibrell across the creek and beyond Old Cross Keys. Dodge made contact with Cox´s div., 23d A.C. approaching Old Cross Keys on Rd. from Sandy Springs, also with Blair´s 17th A.C. at Shallow Ford Road 2 mi. upstream, after which Dodge camped at night on both sides of the creek. Dodge´s column thus maintained contact between left and center of the Federal forces.
044-5 Georgia Historic Marker 1987