Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mersy's Brigade



Marker ID: GHM 044-50
Location: Memorial Drive at Dixie Street, East Atlanta
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 44.856    W 084° 20.137
  33.7476    -84.33561
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DK5
Mersy's Brigade Marker  



Text:

July 22, 1864. Col. August Mersy´s brigade of Sweeny´s div., 16th A.C. [USA] was aligned on the rt. of the div. when it went into action to meet the assault of Walker´s div. [CSA] advancing up Sugar Creek valley (from Glenwood Ave.).

The left of Mersy´s line rested on the hill where Murphy High School stands. The rt. of the line extended S.w. to join Fuller´s 4th div., 16th A.C. on the high ground beyond the valley (near McPherson´s monument).

Gen. McPherson saw this part of the battlefield from the hill 3/8 mile due W. of this marker (at Memorial Dr. " East Side Ave.) enroute to his rendezvous with death.

GHM 044-50 - Georgia Historical Commission - 1956



 

 

044-50