Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Ground-1864



Marker ID: GHM 044-68
Location: At McPherson Monument, McPherson and Monument Aves, East Atlanta
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 44.647    W 084° 20.482
  33.744116    -84.34136
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DC6
Historic Ground-1864  Marker  



Text:

In area bounded by Memorial Dr., Clifton, Glenwood & Moreland, was where the major part of the Battle of Atlanta was fought, July 22d.

In terms of present landmarks, the battle began at memorial Dr. & Clifton where Hardee´s right wing [CSA] was repulsed in an unexpected clash with Sweeny´s 16th A.C. div. [USA] This was followed by an assault of Hardee´s left wing which crushed the left of the 17th A.C. at Flat Shoals Road & Glenwood & dislodged the right of the 16th A.C., forcing them north to a second line at & east of Leggett´s Hill -- eight hours of battle in which two major generals, Walker and McPherson, were killed.

GHM 044-68 - Georgia Historical Commission - 1956



 

 

044-68