Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fuller's Div. 16th A.C.



Marker ID: GHM 044-69
Location: East Side Ave just south of McPherson Ave, East Atlanta
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 44.637    W 084° 20.396
  33.74395    -84.33993
Status: The marker has been removed.
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Fuller's Div. 16th A.C. Marker
Photo by Charles Geiger



Text:

July 22, 1864. Gen. John Fuller´s only brigade -- Morrill´s, which was in reserve near Leggett´s Hill, was deployed S.E. of here to meet the advance of Walker´s div. [CSA] up Sugar Cr. valley. While so engaged, Cleburne´s 2 brigades -- Govan´s & Smith´s, [CSA] having penetrated the rear of the Federal line on Flat Shoals Rd., assailed the right flank of Morrill´s four regiments, not only forcing repeated changes of front but entire withdrawal to a line extending eastward from Leggett´s Hill.

During this action, the 64th Ill. reg´t. drove back Cleburne´s troops long enough to remove McPherson´s body in the forest where he fell.

044-69 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 
Notes:

Removed

 

044-69