Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Rainey Plantation



Marker ID: GHM 044-8
Location: Shallowford Road at Carroll Avenue
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 53.109    W 084° 17.082
  33.88515    -84.2847
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2TAM
The Rainey Plantation  Marker  



Text:

July 18, 1864. The marching columns of the Army of the Tennessee [USA] having diverged 5.5 miles North West, rejoined here when Dodge´s 16th A.C. moved East from Old Cross Keys to Rainey´s, Blair´s 17th A.C. moved 1.75 miles South on old Shallow Ford road and camped at Blake´s Mill, North Fork Peachtree Creek; Dodge´s 16th 1 mile South (at Candler Road) with headquarters at the Rainey house.

Logan´s 15th A.C. moved South East from here to Browning´s Court House (Tucker) to support General Garrard´s Cavalry in a foray on the Georgia R.R. at Stone Mountain. Logan´s route was approximately the present - day Chamblee-Tucker Road via Antioch and Pleasant Hill churches.

GHM 044-8 - Georgia Historical Commission - 1954



 

 

044-8