Historic Markers Across Georgia



The March to the Sea



Marker ID: GHM 044-85
Location: US 278 at Panola Rd, at Belmont
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 43.364    W 084° 9.987
  33.722733    -84.16645
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM32WB
The March to the Sea  Marker  



Text:

On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the. North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah - the March to the Sea. He divided his army [USA] into two wings. The Right wing marched south from Atlanta to feint at Macon but to cross the Ocmuulgee River above the city and concentrate at Gordon.

The Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) Maj. Gen. H. W. Slocum, USA, marched through Decatur where the 20th Corps continuing east to Social Circle and Madison. The 14th Corps, Maj. Gen. J. C. Davis, USA, accompanied by General Sherman and. his staff marched from Atlanta the next morning toward Covington and Milledgeville.


That night (16th), the 14th Corps camped along this road with is advance at Lithonia (3.5 miles east) and its rear guard west of Snapfinger Creek (15 miles west). General Sherman´s headquarters were established here at Latimer´s Crossroads (Belmont). Next morning, the 14th Corps marched toward Covington and halted for the night at Yellow River. Enroute, the tracks. Depots, water tanks and other facilities of the Georgia Railroad were destroyed between Lithonia and the river, approximately 14 miles.

Between Atlanta and Milledgeville, the movements of the Left Wing were almost unopposed, the few Confederate troops available being employed against the Right Wing to protect Macon, a principle arsenal center, and the Central of Georgia Railway.

GHM 044-85 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1957



 

 

044-85