Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia Railway and Power Company Trolley Waiting Station



Marker ID:  
Location: on Ponce de Leon Ave at East Lake Dr, Atlanta
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 46.301    W 084° 19.266
  33.771683    -84.3211
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM13YT
Georgia Railway and Power Company Trolley Waiting Station Marker  



Text:

Georgia Railway and Power Company, predecessor of Georgia Power, built this trolley waiting station in 1923. The waiting station served Druid Hills residential development when the streetcar line on Ponce de Leon Avenue was extended from downtown to East Lake drive. The functional design was a common one shared by the electric company´s waiting stations along city streetcar routes. This structure is the power company´s only original waiting station remaining in Atlanta. Buses replaced the streetcars that once stopped here for passengers, and the tracks have been removed.



 

 

044-A3