Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Decatur Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: Inside front gate, Old City Cemetery, Decatur
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 46.675    W 084° 17.507
  33.777916    -84.29178
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1XFW
Historic Decatur Cemetery  Marker  



Text:

The oldest known publicly owned burial ground in metro Atlanta, the Decatur Cemetery is believed to predate the city´s 1823 incorporation. The first written record is an 1852 act of the legislature providing "Commissioners for the Decatur Burial Ground". Expanded many times, the cemetery comprises 38 acres with over 20,000 grave sites. Its appearance dates from an 1881 landscaping plan which included well house, wrought iron fencing, and architectural details of Stone Mountain granite. The 7.5 acre "Old Cemetery" contains most 19th century internments and the historic "African American" section. Monuments commemorate residents of all social strata, ethnic origins, and veterans of every American war. Here rest Col. Milton A Candler (1837 - 1909) legislator & congressman; Dr Thomas Holly Chivers (1806 - 1858), physician & poet; Mary A.H. Gay (1828 - 1918) author of "Life In Dixie During the War" the Hon. Charles Murphey (1799 - 1861), legislator, congressman, & delegate to the Secession Convention; Col. George Washington Scott (1829 - 1903), founder of Agnes Scott College; Benjamin F. Swanton (1807-1890), entrepreneur builder & the Swanton House; and many others who shaped the history the community.


Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, 1997



 

 

044-A4