Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ivy Street



Marker ID:  
Location: end of main drive - Marist School, 3790 Ashford Dunwoody Rd.
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 54.079    W 084° 20.165
  33.90131666    -84.33608333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6XJN
Ivy Street Marker  



Text:

On June 3, 2005, the central road of this campus was formally named "Ivy St," in honor of the hallowed tradition associated with the original Marist campus on Ivy Street in downtown Atlants.
With 32 boys and five priest-teachers, Father John E. Gunn, S.M., pastor of Sacred Heart Church and later Bishop of Natchez, Mississippi, founded Marist College, a military day school for boys, in 1901. The Marist cadets were a familiar site to Atlantans as they drilled on school property and marched in Peachtree Street parades.

The school has been known as Marist School since its move to the present campus in 1962.



 

 

044-A6