Historic Markers Across Georgia



H.F. "DOC" Manget, Jr.



Marker ID:  
Location: 2 Main entrance drive to Peachtree-DeKalb airport
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 52.618    W 084° 18.245
  33.876966    -84.30408
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM6H8W
H.F.  



Text:

H.F. "DOC" Manget, Jr.
1921 -- 2004
Naval aviator 1941 - 1981
DeKalb Peachtree Airport Director 1959 - 1990

With the onset of World War II, Henry F."DOC" Manget Jr., interrupted his medical training at Emory University to enlist in the Navy. Assigned to the newly constructed Naval reserve aviation base this site, we began primary flight training on 12 December 1941, five days after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Receiving his weighing wings at NAS Jacksonville, he served two combat tours in the Southwest Pacific flying TBM "Avengers", F6F "Hellcats", and F4U "Corsairs" from Henderson Field, Guadalcanal and various aircraft carriers. His squadron, VT-27, was operating from the USS Princeton when she was sunk by enemy action during the greatest naval engagement in history, the battle of Leyte Gulf, on 24 October 1944.

Maintaining his Naval Reserve flight status at NAS Atlanta, "DOC" was recalled to active duty during the Korean War and served as executive officer of fighter squadron 72 flying F9F "Panther" jets over North Korea from the USS Bon Homme Richard. He was awarded three Distinguished Flying Crosses for valor in combat in two wars.

Returning to Atlanta in 1959, and the field where he first soloed eighteen years earlier, "DOC" became the first director of the DeKalb Peachtree Airport when NAS Atlanta was relocated to Dobbins AFB, Marietta, GA. Under his leadership, numerous airport improvements, including a 5,000 foot long concrete runway, Instrument Landing System (I LS), and development of the North terminal area, "DOC" paved the way for the PDK Airport to become the second busiest airport in Georgia.

To this day, the airport contributes heavily to the economic growth of DeKalb County and has become a national showcase for general aviation since 1978, the airport has been a self sustaining County Department receiving no general fund tax monies for its operation.

"DOC" Magnet served as president of the Southeastern Airport Managers´ Association and as director of the American Association of Airport Executives, and in 1985 was recognized with the Public Service Award presented by the Atlanta newspapers. He retired in April 1990 following 31 years of dedicated service to the County. On 16 May 1998, Captain Magnet, a leader for aviation in war and peace, was enshrined in the GA aviation Hall of Fame.



 

H.F.


 

044-A8