Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Beacon Community (Side 1)



Marker ID: City of Decatur Marker 
Location: at the Beacon Hill Arts Center, W. Trinity at Electric Ave, Decatur
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 46.407    W 084° 18.054
  33.77345    -84.3009
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2EJE
The Beacon Community (Side 1)  Marker  



Text:

The Beacon Community was the center of Decatur´s African American community until its demolition by the Urban Renewal programs of the mid-1960s. Bounded by N. McDonough Street on the east. W. Trinity Place on the north, Water Street on the west and Howard Avenue to the south, the area included a tight-knit residential community, schools and churches in addition to numerous African -American owned businesses. Atlanta Avenue once connected Trinity Place West (formerly Herring Street) and Howard Avenue and was the center of the African American business district. Tyler Funeral Home is the only remaining business.

The buildings on this site once housed Beacon Elementary and Trinity High School. They served African-American children until 1967 when the integration of the Decatur School System was completed. These schools replaced the Herring Street School that served the community from 1913 to 1956.



 

 

044-D1