Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Beacon Community (Side 2)



Marker ID: City of Decatur Marker 
Location: at the Beacon Hill Arts Center, W. Trinity at Electric Ave, Decatur
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 33° 46.407    W 084° 18.054
  33.77345    -84.3009
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2EJE
The Beacon Community (Side 2) Marker  



Text:

The Allen Wilson Terrace Public Housing Project constructed in 1941, was named for the first African-American. School principal in Decatur. These school building, Lilly Hill Baptist Church, the former Trinity Presbyterian Church on Robin Street and the Allen Wilson Terrance project are the only remaining buildings dating to the early years of this neighborhood.

The beacon Community was home to Henry Oliver, a business owner and resident who was honored in 1902 with a local street named for him. In 1983, the street name was changed to Commerce Drive and his name was given to a meeting room in the new Decatur Conference Center. It was also home to Deacon J.H. Ebster for Ebster park was named; Federal Court Judge Clarence Cooper and Elizabeth Wilson, Decatur´s first African-American city commissioner and mayor.

City of Decatur Marker - February, 1998



 

 

044-D2