Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dodge County



Marker ID: GHM 045-1
Location: Courthouse in Eastman, GA
County: Dodge
Coordinates: N 32° 12.045    W 083° 10.547
  32.20075    -83.17578
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA5GT
Dodge County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County created by Act of the Legislature Oct. 26, 1870, is named for William E. Dodge, a New York lumberman who owned large areas of the forest lands and who persuaded Congress to remove taxation from ´the great staple of our state.´ He built and gave to the new county its first Courthouse, which was replaced in 1908. The first County Officers included: Superior Court Judge J.R. Alexander, Clerk of Superior Court Ruben A. Harrell, Sheriff Jordan Brown, Tax Collector T.P. Willcox, Tax Receiver Jno. W. Bohannon and Ordinary S.W. Burch.

GHM 045-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Dodge County Courthouse
Dodge County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

045-1