Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Eastman-Bishop-Bullock House



Marker ID: GHS 45-1
Location: 407 Eastman Way, Eastman
County: Dodge
Coordinates: N 32° 12.033    W 083° 10.821
  32.20055    -83.18035
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA5GW
The Eastman-Bishop-Bullock House Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This house, constructed in 1872, is the oldest house in Eastman. In 1868, William Pitt Eastman founded the 400,000 acre Georgia Land and Lumber Company. Learning in 1870 that Station No. 13 along the Macon and Brunswick Railroad had been named in his honor, Eastman created the town of Eastman and was instrumental in the formation of Dodge County. He established the Eastman Hotel Company and Woodlawn Cemetery and served as mayor in 1885. His daughter sold the house to Judge James Bishop, Sr. in 1896. James Bishop and Cary Bullock inherited it in 1926.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and Dodge Historical Society.

1999.4 45-1




The Eastman-Bishop-Bullock House
Photo by Ken Moser



 

045-HS1