Historic Markers Across Georgia



Orphans Cemetery



Marker ID: GHS 45-2
Location: Orphans Cemetery & Firetower Rds, 2 1/2 miles NW of Eastman, GA
County: Dodge
Coordinates: N 32° 12.422    W 083° 12.971
  32.207033    -83.21618
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA5H6
Orphans Cemetery Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Albert G. Williamson, a Dodge County entrepreneur, donated land for a burial place in Orphans community following the death of a neighbor´s child, George P.A. Barnes, in 1887. The community was named in honor of the six orphaned Williamson brothers who moved here in 1873-74 from North Carolina. The earliest burials were children of the Thomas, Weldy, and Lashley families. Other common names in the original acre are Hardy, Manley, Steele, Stuckey, and Williamson. The statuary above their mausoleum depicts A.G. and Martha Buchan Williamson and their nephew, Jay Gould.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Orphans Cemetery Association, and Dodge Historical Society. Located in Orphans Cemetery at Orphans Cemetery and Firetower Roads.

1999.3 45-2




Orphans Cemetery
Photo by Ken Moser



 

045-HS2