Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dooly County



Marker ID: GHM 046-1
Location: Courthouse on US 41 in Vienna
County: Dooly
Coordinates: N 32° 5.458    W 083° 47.842
  32.090966    -83.79736
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAG0T
Dooly County  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by Acts of the Legislature May 15 & Dec. 24, 1821, is named for Col. John Dooly of Revolutionary fame who was murdered in his home by Tories in 1780. The original County Site was at Berrien on the Flint River in 1823, the name being changed to Drayton in 1833. In the early ´40´s the Legislature voted to move the Site to another town named Berrien but this was not done. In the late ´40´s the Site was moved to Vienna which is famed as the home of ´elder statesman´ Walter F. George, U.S. Senator for more than thirty years, elected in 1922.

046-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Dooly County Courthouse
Dooly County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

046-1