Historic Markers Across Georgia



Vienna High and Industrial School A Georgia Equalization School



Marker ID: GHS 46-1
Location: 216 Ninth St, Vienna, GA
County: Dooly
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAA8P
 



Text:

Established in 1959, Vienna High and Industrial School was a consolidated school for African-Americans during segregation. As a part of George's massive resistance to federally mandated school integration, politicians and school officials sought to address the blatant geographic and racial disparities in education by constructing hundreds of new (but still segregated) schools across the state during the 1950s- 60s. Known as "equalization" schools, they were often among the first modern buildings in rule areas and became centers of African American community life. With forced integration in place statewide by 1970, many of the new schools were abandoned or repurposed with their students moving to the formerly all-white schools. Vienna was unusual in that it became the integrated Vienna High School and Dr. Napoleon Williams, the head of the former African American school, as its principal. The school later served as Vienna Elementary until its closure in 2004.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, the city of Vienna,
the Vienna Historic Preservation Commission, and
the Georgia Natural Resources Foundation



 
Notes:

Dedicated 4/9/2015